What makes rice Brazilian style? Well it takes a Brazilian Rotary Exchange student sharing her mother’s secrets for cooking a traditional Brazilian comfort food during an episode of Mama Caruso Cooks Hacks and Tips Brazilian Comfort Food. Thank you Nati and Nati’s mom for a great easy recipe that is sure to elevate any rice recipe. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ cup of chopped onion
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white rice
- 2¼ cups of water
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- In a saucepan heat the olive oil on medium heat
- saute the onions and garlic until slightly brown (about 4-6 minutes)
- stir in the rice and let saute for a minute
- pour in the water and add butter
- cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until done to taste
Nati incorporated the addition of a little extra water which gave the rice a luscious texture and really helped to cook the rice properly at high altitude.
One of the great thing about rice is that you can dress down down and serve it simply or spice it up depending on your own preferences. My family love to take leftover rice and add some milk, sugar and raisins for a sweet treat. Rice is so versatile and is a daily staple in Brazil – how are you going to make rice your own?
To make rice Brazilian style or your own style:
- add peppers or other veggies in with the onions and garlic and saute
- use chicken stock or coconut milk instead of water
- throw in some fresh herbs when the rice is done
Yum, I am getting hungry just thinking about the endless combinations – just have fun with it – make it your own. I would love to hear what you did to make this recipe your own. Let me know!
Join the Mama Caruso Cooks Cooking Club and connect with other everyday cooks who want to learn, share and own their kitchen. Let’s get cooking…together.