I am not sure how this wonderful comfort food became so disparaged because I love making grits. Simple and easy, this dish can be dressed up for dessert, used as a main course or served for breakfast. Made from ground corn, when cooked, they adapt to whatever you want to add – bacon, maple sugar, raisins, jalapenos, and my favorite…cheese and butter.
- 1 cup corn grits
- 3 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Bring the water and salt to a boil
- Add the grits, stir reduce heat to medium and cover
- Cook for 5 - 8 minutes until they are cooked and the consistency you want
- Turn off heat, stir, add butter and cover
- Let stand 5 minutes and serve
Stir in some maple syrup before serving for a sweet treat, or sprinkle with bacon…however you want to dress this staple – enjoy.
When cooked and cooled, you can repurpose them as hush puppies, or as polenta…your imagination is your only limit.
What are you putting in your grits?
Join Mama Caruso Cooks Cooking Club and learn what others are adding to their grits. Let’s get cooking together.