These baked bacon donuts are light and tasty and sweet and savory all at once. Enjoy them straight out of the oven or let them cool and drizzle with maple frosting and crispy bits of bacon. Whenever you decide to eat them, they won’t last long!
I made these for the first time a few weeks ago to prepare for an invitation to cook in the kitchen of matchmaker and Mayor Mallory of Merryville USA and I was looking for an easy donut recipe to make from home. Mallory insisted that she can’t cook and LOVES donuts and I’ve never made donuts before – so the challenge was on.
Inspired Bacon Donuts
During the live episode of Mama Caruso Cooks Dreamin’ of Donuts in Merryville USA, Dr. Bo, Mallory’s husband shared his love of bacon while we were pouring this batter into the donut pans – and bacon donuts were born! We sprinkled cooked bacon into the bottom of the donut pans and then filled them with batter – popped them in the oven for 15 minutes and they were done. To learn about donut hacks and tips, join the fun and watch the episode here.
- 10 ounces butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour can substitute with 1 to 1 gluten free flour I use Bob's Red MIll
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup milk
- 12 strips of bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped into small pieces
- Cook the bacon until crispy and when cooled chop into small pieces
- To prepare the batter:
- Blend butter and sugar until smooth
- add eggs and mix until well mixed
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg
- Mix the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture and stir until all ingredients are moist
- add milk and mix well
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray or grease donut pans
- sprinkle the cooked chopped bacon into the bottom of the donut pan
- spoon the batter on top of the bacon, filling the pans ⅔ full
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are a light brown
The inspiration for the batter of this baked donut recipe originated from Genius Kitchen. Many thanks to Genius Kitchen for helping me get over my hang-ups about baking donuts!!
- I purchased 2 donut pans for $12/each. They were well worth it and I can’t wait to try a baked eggs in them next. If you do not have a donut pan, try using a muffin pan – you’ll miss the hole, but the taste will be delicious still.
- Bake these donuts in muffin pans and then cut in half and fill with peanut butter, jelly, maple syrup – let your imagination take over!
- I made a maple frosting to drizzle over the top and saved a little of the bacon to add a little crunch to the top.
- Make it vegetarian – use soy based “bacon” and enjoy the flavor without the meat.
- I turned this recipe into a gluten free snack by substituting the flour with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour. I really love using this baking flour and have found that it behaves like flour when used.
To make bacon donuts your own:
- Crumble bacon on top
- Frost with nutella or peanut butter
- Spice it up with jalapeños, or a little cayenne
- Sweeten the deal with maple syrup or coconut sugar and add toasted pecans
There are endless combinations- just have fun with it – make it your own. I would love to hear what you did to elevate this bacon donut recipe and make it your own. Let me know!
Join Mama Caruso Cooks as we explore ways to take the intimidation out of your kitchen. Connect with other everyday cooks who want to learn, share and own their kitchen. Let’s get cooking…together.