I make this easy crock pot egg bake for every family gathering. It was a big hit at the “after wedding” present opening party following my daughter’s wedding. I made two batches, one with ham and one without ham for the vegetarians in the group, added a bowl of fruit and lots of coffee -simple and everyone enjoyed the brunch.
Make this dish the night before your big event, bake it in the crock pot and you will have more time to spend with your guests when they arrive. This egg bake is super simple to make, all in one pot and will please everyone. Great for brunch or special occasions, garnish with fruit and you have an elegant and satisfying meal.
- 20 ounces (4 cups) potatoes, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 12 ounces (2½ cups) cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups ham, cubed
- 2 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp salt
- 18 eggs (Yes, It Really Does Take This Many Eggs)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Place the shredded potatoes, onion, shredded cheese and ham in the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top of those ingredients.
- In a large bowl crack the eggs, whisk in the milk, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the egg mixture on top of the potato layer.
- Add the butter cut into 1 tablespoon pieces on top of the entire mixture, generously add ground pepper and salt.
- Turn the crock pot on low and let cook for 6 hours, or until the eggs are set.
- Serve from the crock pot.
- Be sure to have copies of the recipe available, your guests will want to make this themselves.
18-24 eggs seems like a lot and it is. I have tried to skimp on the eggs, and the egg bake just won’t work out – it won’t set right, so use at least 18 eggs and up to 24 if you have them.
With this super easy one pot meal you let the crock pot do all the work for you
Be sure to have copies of the recipe available, your guests will want to make this themselves.
Tips for Success with this easy crock pot egg bake
- If time is short, use shredded cheese and potatoes.
- For variation add green peppers, jalapenos or use Monterey Jack cheese.
- For a vegetarian option, the ham can be eliminated without compromising the recipe
- 18 eggs sounds like a lot and it is, do not reduce the number of eggs, the egg bake will not set correctly.
- To serve more people you can increase the number of eggs up to 24 – if you do that, add one more cup of milk to the mixture.
- Have a small group? That’s okay, this heats up well again as leftovers.