This daikon pomegranate carrot salad originated from a throwdown that involved Scrabble letters. My team drew the letters D P and C and we had to get busy trying to come up with food that began with those letters and then make something delicious with those ingredients. That throwdown created quite a few surprisingly tasty recipes – this salad was one of the winners.
- 1 large daikon radish peeled
- 1 pomegranate seeded
- 2 - 3 carrots peeled
- the juice of 2 limes
- salt to taste
- a few drops of sesame oil
- Chopped cilantro
- Julienne the daikon and carrots in 2 inch strips and put in bowl
- Add the pomegranate seeds and mix the ingredients together
- Pour the lime juice over the mixture - if you are planning on adding sesame oil add it to the lime juice before adding to the bowl
- Sprinkle salt and stir to mix
- Sprinkle cilantro and serve
Sesame oil is optional only because it is one of the few tastes I struggle with, so if I can get away without it – I do. If you do not know if you like it or not, smell it first. Sesame oil is one of those ingredients that tastes just like it smells. If you are still not sure if you like it or not, put a drop on your finger and give it a try.
My husband loves the flavor profiles that include sesame anything and so when I make this I mix the daikon pomegranates and carrots and then split the mixture into two bowls. I separate the lime juice so that there are even amounts in two small bowls and then add the sesame oil to only one of the two bowls. Pour the lime juices into the two bowls and stir both salads – enjoy.
Have fun adding ingredients that you might like – cilantro is always a go to fav for me…I’d love to hear what you do to make this dish your own.
From my kitchen to yours…enjoy