This recipe is a no holds barred recipe; it is decadent, rich and yet versatile. Mashed potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese is just as rich and creamy as it sounds. You can follow the recipe exactly, or you can modify as your dietary needs and nutritional desires dictate. This recipe is perfect for making your own so have some fun. If you need some confidence before modifying, follow the recipe first and then start making your changes the next time. My Uncle used to make notes of every recipe he cooked as he made the changes that would fit his palate better. He taught me how to read a recipe and understand how it would taste just by reading the recipe, a skill I now appreciate so much…thanks Uncle Jerry, I do miss him!
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces to boil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, softened
- ¼ cup half and half
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 6 quarts water, for cooking potatoes
- In a large cooking pot add 1 teaspoon salt and water and bring to a boil
- Peel and cut potatoes into large chunks add to boiling water
- Cook potatoes until a fork inserted in the potato can pierce the potato to the center (about 10 minutes) – you do not want to overcook the potatoes
- While the potatoes cook, place the butter, sour cream and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl
- When the potatoes are cooked, drain and pour the hot potatoes into the mixing bowl
- With a potato masher or mixer, blend the ingredients well, adding the half and half to get to your desired consistency, add salt, mix and serve.
Use a Hand Potato Masher
For a more rustic texture use a hand masher and leave some little lumps in the bowl, or keep the skins on the potatoes and then hand mash them when they are cooked.
Make it Your Own – Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Cream Cheese can be anything you want.
Have some fun and start somewhere, start with this recipe, modify it as you like and lay some comfort food on your table – no need to wait for a holiday, these potatoes go well with meatloaf, Milanesa and roast chicken.
Elevate Your Own Mashed Potato Recipe…
- Add veggie or onion and chives cream cheese
- Add some roasted garlic
- Margarine can be substituted for butter
When you try one of these modifications, or add ingredients – I would love to hear about it. Let’s share your cooking experiences with the Mama Caruso Cooks Community. From your table to ours…enjoy