These luscious, rich cheesy grits will blow the roof off of anything you have thought about grits before. I am not sure how grits got such a bad rap…well, maybe I do … I have had a few bland, watery servings – so I get it. If you are one of those who has had a bad grits experience, I am going to encourage you to dive right in and try this recipe.
Look below for tips and suggestions to spice these up or down and make it your own.
- 1 cup corn grits
- 3 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 - 4 ounces of cheese cubed or grated - I prefer white cheddar
- ¼ cup of milk, half and half or water (to thin the grits as they cook)
- Salt to taste
- Prepare the grits according to the directions on the package - if there are none then:
- Bring the water and salt to boil in a sauce pan
- Stir in the corn grits and butter and reduce the heat to medium low
- Stir occasionally to make certain the grits are not sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Cook for 5 minutes
- Stir in the cheese and turn the heat to low
- Stir frequently until the cheese is evenly distributed in the grits about 3 minutes)
- Taste and adjust
- If the grits have too thick of a consistency, stir in your extra liquid - milk etc
- Salt as your taste buds desire
- Take the grits off the heat, stir, cover and serve
One of the great thing about grits is that you can dress them down or spice them up depending on your own preferences. In fact, they are a great dish to experiment with – you can add lots of different flavors after the plain grits are cooked and divide the pan into several “experimental” bowls and just start mixing. Have fun!
To make cheesy grits your own:
- Crumble bacon on top
- Add different cheese, like blue cheese or feta
- Stir in chopped jalapenos and top with hot sauce
- Sweeten the deal with maple syrup or coconut sugar and add toasted pecans
Yum, I am getting hungry just thinking about the endless combinations – just have fun with it – make it your own. I would love to hear what you did to make this cheesy grits recipe your own. Let me know!
Join the Mama Caruso Cooks Cooking Club and connect with other everyday cooks who want to learn, share and own their kitchen. Let’s get cooking…together.