If you do not like brussels sprouts, this recipe just may change your mind – it did mine! I remember brussels sprouts being really mushy with a very strong cabbage-like odor and taste…caramelized brussels sprouts with bacon puts an entirely new spin on this delicious fun veggie – go ahead – give it a try, you will be glad you did.
If you already like brussels sprouts, then you may know that everything goes better with bacon and this is no exception.
- 5 strips of bacon cut into ½ inch slices
- 28 brussels sprouts cut in half with bottom stem trimmed off and outside leaves discarded
- ¾ teaspoon finely ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- In a skillet on medium heat cook the chopped bacon for 5 minutes until the fat has rendered down and the bacon has browned slightly
- Add the brussels sprouts and stir to coat in the rendered bacon fat
- Sprinkle the pepper and salt on the mixture and stir slightly to coat evenly
- Let the brussels sprouts cook for 4 minutes on medium heat until they begin to caramelize, or get a little brown. [b]Here is a new Line that doesn't start a new instruction
- Stir well and add butter
- Cook for 4 more minutes and stir again - depending on the size of your sprouts, they should be done.
- When the sprouts are slightly soft they are done, you may need to cook them a few minutes longer, but remove from the heat once a fork can pass through the entire sprout.